10 Kids Cartoons We Watched in the 80s and 90s

Cartoons

Turning 30 at the end of this year is making me feel like I may finally have become a proper grown up. This makes it totally OK to look back on the past nostalgically, especially at the toys, fashions and cartoons we loved when we were little. I spent a little too long on Youtube watching some of my favourite childhood cartoons and thought I’d share them here. I was born in 1985 so I’ve just included stuff that I actually watched myself, here are 10 intros from my favourites…

Rude Dog and the Dweebs – This was my absolute favourite cartoon ever, it has achieved cult status in my home:

Bananaman:

The Poddington Peas – Is it weird that I still know all the words to this one?

Count Duckula:

Jimbo and the Jetset – I remember singing this A LOT when I was little Jimboooooo!

Raggy Dolls – I’d forgotten all about this one until my mum reminded me of it. Now I can’t get the theme tune out of my head!

Superted – Superted is still completely awesome. I’m definitely going to watch this more with my kids.

Alvin and The Chipmunks:

The Animals of Farthing Wood: A little later than the others, but one of the best.

The Family Ness:

I hope you enjoyed watching these intros. Thank you to all the fantastic people who put these on YouTube. What were your favourite cartoons growing up? let me know in the comments and I’ll see if I remember them too!

9 Comments

1. Mamie January 17, 2015 / 10:07 am

The only one missing of my favourites is Rainbow Brite, not only did I watch the programmes but I also had all the dolls too,

2. monidelatorre January 17, 2015 / 11:13 am

I was born in 1983 and here in Spain, children watched Alvin and the chip munks too 🙂 My favourite were Sesame Street and Heidi! I want to show you the first episode. Lovely!

3. Jessica Cangiano January 17, 2015 / 9:21 pm

What a thoroughly cool post!!! I’m always game for some feel good nostalgia about my childhood (same era as your own). Of these shows, having grown up in Canada, I’ve actually only heard of two. Some of my faves from back in the day were The Raccoons, The Care Bears, Inspector Gadget, Muppet Babies, Gummi Bear, TaleSpin, Barbie and the Rockers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Oh, those were the days! 🙂

♥ Jessica

4. mrsfoxfinery January 18, 2015 / 9:57 pm

I’m with you on the Poddington Peas song! Used to like Raggy Dolls a lot but think Shoe People was one of my top programmes.

• vintagefrills January 20, 2015 / 10:24 am

Yes Shoe People was awesome. I now have the song from Raggy Dolls perminently in my head!

5. Kelly January 19, 2015 / 12:11 pm

penny crayon was a fave and mona the vampire! you just brought back memories of the family ness used to love that!! X

• vintagefrills January 20, 2015 / 10:22 am

I’d forgotten about Mona The Vampire! Although i think that was a bit later than all these.