I am definitely a summer girl at heart, as the cold sets in I miss feeling the sun on my skin and going out in sun dresses. However since we have to put up with the colder months I thought I’d remember some of the things that make winter wonderful…
1. The sunrises and sunsets: At this time of year they are simply beautiful and you don’t have to get up ridiculously early to see the sky tinted pink. The sun may set at 4pm, but it doesn’t matter just make your way to the top of a hill and watch the sky and appreciate the beauty.
2. Snuggly nights in: It may be cold outside but I like nothing more that putting on my PJs and slippers and cosying up under a blanket with a cup of tea.
3. Great TV: I’m not a big TV watcher, but I definitely enjoy all the fantastic dramas and films that come on during the colder months. And if I’m going to be snuggled up on the sofa drinking tea I might as well be watching the latest costume drama.
4. Coats and boots and scarfs and gloves: This time of year I like to invest in a great pair of boots and a new coat and well as lots of warm wooly accessories, if you’re wrapped up warm enough it doesn’t matter that it’s freezing.
5. Frosty morning walks: Those winter mornings when you wake up, look out of the window and see that the world is transformed into a winter wonderland. Put on those warm winter woolies and go for a long walk hearing the ice cracking beneath your feet – amazing. Just don’t slip.
6. Dramatic foggy nights: I love those cold nights where theres already frost on the ground and an eery fog. Not so nice to drive in but perfect for a night time explore or just to look at through the window. Why not pretend to be in a scary film too?
7. Fresh snow: Yes snow does get a bit annoying after a few days, when it’s turned to slush and gone a bit brown. However nothing beats that first day of snow when everything is magically turned to white, the schools are closed and you can build snowmen.
8. Christmas: Christmas is the most wonderful time of year, put aside the presents and shopping and it’s all about eating great food and spending time with people you love while wearing epic festive knitwear. Amazing! I also love hearing christmas carols, they’re one of my favourite parts of Christmas.
9. Hot food: While we’re on the subject of eating, I love winter food. Think one pot casseroles and steaming mugs of soup.
10: Taking photographs: As photography is one of my biggest hobbies, I have to say that winter is the best time of year to photograph. The light is beautiful and the trees with no leaves and frost and fog and sunsets are all a dream to photograph.
What are your favourite things about winter?