Todays recipe is perfect for when you feel like making something nice, but without taking too much time or effort. I absolutely love bread and butter pudding, its such a classic recipe and really quick and cheap to make.
- 10 slices of white bread
- 50g sultanas
- 25 g caster sugar
For the custard:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 40g caster sugar
- a few drops of vanilla essence
- 400ml milk
- Preheat oven to 180ºc
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together.
- Continue to whisk while gradually adding the milk.
- Butter a pie dish.
- Cut the crusts off the bread and spread both sides with butter.
- Arrange your bread in an overlapping pattern in the pie dish.
- Sprinkle with Sultanas.
- Pour over half the custard mixture and allow to fully soak in.
- Add the rest of the mixture and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the oven for around 45, until the custard has set and the pudding is golden and crisp.
If you try this recipe, please send me pictures as I love to see your bakes too. For more recipes check out my baking section. I’m also writing about food and drink for Vintage Life magazine every month, you can pick up the latest issue here.
Ways to follow Vintage Frills